So.... I have decided to enter the Mystery Box Cupcake Challenge for the second time (check out the official rules here)! The ingredient this time was Popcorn. I thought about popcorn, and wondered how it could possibly be good in a cupcake! Then I really thought about popcorn... and said to myself... it COULD be versatile, right?  I will give it a try! So, I decided to use popcorn in a "Hot" Cocoa Cupcake. I used to LOVE to dip my popcorn in my hot cocoa... I had big dreams for my cupcake. I wanted a hot cocoa cupcake with popcorn and i wanted it in a mug, just like a real cup of hot cocoa with a dollop of whipped cream and maybe a few marshmallows to top it all off! Well, I had to make some adjustments, but I think I came up with something that I can live with and tastes AMAZING!
First of all, I only had one mug in my house that I thought I could bake in, and it was way too big for a cupcake, and I started off with the idea that I was going to make my own popcorn flour, but my food processor didn't grind it into a powdery flour like I had hoped. I still used the "flour" that I made, but I couldn't substitute all of the flour for the popcorn flour like I wanted to (to really incorporate the popcorn into the cupcake).  Of course, I think cupcakes are best eaten warm - especially with this being a hot cocoa cupcake and all, but although I would love to eat warm cupcakes all the time that's not always the case. So, I decided to add my own "hot" to hot cocoa by adding a little chili powder.  I searched several recipes and finally found one from Cupcake Villains Strike Again  that I could adapt into my own Popcorn Hot Cocoa Cupcake or as I like to call them
"Hot" Popped Cocoa-cakes
The texture of these is so light and fluffy and they are so moist... when they were warm it was almost like eating a cup of hot cocoa! Then I added the frosting, and whipped cream so I had to refrigerate them. They were just as good, no, BETTER when I ate them straight from the fridge. I REALLY enjoyed these cupcakes and I will be making them again!
Here is the recipe I used.
Makes 12 cupcakes
1/3 C + 1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 C. hot cocoa, prepared, boiling (make a mug of your favorite hot cocoa, add some popcorn, enjoy, but save 1/2 cup for the recipe - straining out the popcorn kernels and boiling it before adding it to the batter)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line 12 standard cupcake pans with liners, or coat with non-stick cooking spray.  In the large bowl, stir together the sugar, eggs, milk, coconut milk, oil and vanilla, until blended.
2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and chili powder, and gradually add to the sugar mixture, until the mixture begins to come together.  Be sure to NOT  over mix!
3. Very slowly, add the boiling hot cooa, and blend until the mixture is smooth. This batter is VERY runny, I was afraid it wasn't going to set up in the oven, but it did and yielded an AMAZING cupcake!
4. Ladle or scoop the batter into the cupcake tins, filling ¾ full.  Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Filling: Marshmallow Fluff
Topping: A layer of Chocolate Truffle Frosting* to simulate the foam on top of a cup of cocoa, with a dollop of real whipped cream and chocolate-drizzled popcorn to top it off!

*Chocolate Truffle Frosting (this made JUST enough to frost 12 cupcakes)
1/2 C. coconut milk (or 1/2 C. whipping cream) - I just used leftover coconut milk from my cupcake recipe
1 C. milk chocolate chips.
Bring coconut milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add Chocolate chips and remove from heat. Wait 5 minutes, then stir until well blended. Cover and chill overnight. Beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds until fluffy and spreading consistency.

VOTE HERE!! (starting 1/21/11)

The winner of January’s Mystery Box Cupcake Challenge will receive prizes from:

Comments

01/21/2011 9:24am

Very clever and creative! I love weird food combinations so the thought of combining popcorn and hot cocoa appeals to me.

01/21/2011 9:40am

Thanks! You should try it sometime! I always loved it when I was younger, and now my more "sophisitcated" tastes (haha) are going to make me crave the cupcake instead of the actual mug of hot cocoa!

04/03/2013 5:17am

Know what you can afford to spend, and don't get caught up in "auction fever." It may be exciting to get a flashy vehicle, but don't make a decision that will cost you once the euphoria wears off.

01/21/2011 11:43am

I just keep coming back to watch your scrumptious slide show - they looks SO good!

01/21/2011 2:04pm

Thanks Nicole! I can imagine it took all of 11 hours to makel that popcorn - it looks great and I love that you said your coworker didn't eat it because he hates popcorn! :)

01/21/2011 8:38pm

Great idea and presentation! I'd never have thought of hot cocoa with popcorn but it sounds quite yummy. Good luck with the votes!

01/22/2011 9:14am

I really love the idea of the popcorn flour. I would\'ve never thought of that. Great cupcake, thanks very much.

01/22/2011 9:16am

@Xiaolu Thank you! You should try popcorn in your hot cocoa next time, or just make the cucpakes!!

@Adele I think I am going to order some Amish ground popcorn flour, since my food processor didn't grind it quite like I wanted it to! Glad you enjoyed my entry! THANKS!

01/22/2011 1:14pm

This recipe is a menagerie of all my favourite ingredients - I love the chocolate/spicy combo, I'm crazy about the popcorn flour, and adding hot chocolate to everything is just icing on the cake! (no pun intended?). Very creative cupcake - good luck in the contest!

01/22/2011 8:55pm

These look SO yummy! I love chilli and chocolate together too, so I might have to try making these one day! I tried to make popcorn flour too, and it didn't really work for me, either. I guess one needs a more industrial-strength processor!

01/22/2011 9:16pm

@C&C - Thanks for all of the great comments!

@Sugary Flower - The chili flavor is very subtle in these, but good nonetheless! The popcorn flour was such a strange texture almost like tiny styrofoam balls! But I was glad I could use some of it in my cupcakes! Please let me know if you do try them!!

Jane Schmalz
01/26/2011 11:30am

I love them, they nice to look at and yummy Im sure

01/27/2011 4:39am

Congrats on your win! You were my other vote, and I think your cupcakes were amazing! :-)

01/27/2011 8:32am

@ Jane - Thanks so much!

@ Nicole - Thanks! I appreciate your vote! You did great in the voting - your cupcakes looked so real! I am so excited to have won! By the way, I Love the name of your Blog... very clever... and all of your cookies are amazing! I would never have the patience to make my cookies look half that good! AWESOME!

07/05/2012 11:38am

Thanks for the post to this page

07/07/2012 10:05pm

Great recipe Angela, I love the idea of the popcorn flour:)

10/22/2012 5:09am

This is what I have been searching in many websites and I finally found it here. Amazing article. I am so impressed. Could never think of such a thing is possible with it...I think you have a great knowledge especially while dealings with such subjects.

11/09/2012 11:14pm

Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.

01/17/2013 7:07am

This is indeed an innovative idea of using pop corns while making cup cakes. I will also try it.

04/07/2013 6:19am

This blog post really grabbed my attention. With that said I am going to subscribe. Therefore I will get more updates on what you have to say. Please keep writing as I want to learn more.

04/16/2013 10:07am

They were just as good, no, BETTER when I ate them straight from the fridge.

04/17/2013 11:16pm

Now and then I’ll stumble across a post like this and I’ll recall that there really are still interesting pages on the web. ^_^. Thanks.

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.